Congratulations, mama-to-be! As you embark on this exciting journey of motherhood, taking care of yourself is more important now than ever before. One of the most important aspects of self-care during pregnancy is your skincare routine. But with so many products out there, it can be hard to know what's safe and what's not. That's why we're here to help you navigate the world of natural skincare.
Skin changes during pregnancy
Your body undergoes many changes during pregnancy, and your skin is no exception. Here are some common skin changes that you may experience during pregnancy:
- Acne: Hormonal changes during pregnancy can cause an increase in oil production, leading to breakouts. However, it's important to note that not all acne treatments are safe for use during pregnancy. Stick to gentle, natural skincare products from helwé, and consult with your healthcare provider if you have concerns.
- Dark spots: Some women may experience hyperpigmentation during pregnancy, also known as the "mask of pregnancy." This condition typically appears as dark patches on the face, but can also affect other areas of the body. To prevent further darkening, it's important to protect your skin from the sun with a broad-spectrum sunscreen.
- Dryness: Pregnancy hormones can cause your skin to become dry and itchy. Using a hydrating moisturizer like crème éternelle can help keep your skin soft and supple.
- Sensitivity: Some women may experience increased skin sensitivity during pregnancy. If you notice that your skin is reacting to products that you've used in the past, switch to gentle, fragrance-free skincare products.
- Stretch marks: As your belly expands to accommodate your growing baby, you may notice stretch marks on your abdomen, thighs, and breasts. Keeping your skin hydrated with a nourishing moisturizer may reduce the appearance of stretch marks.
By understanding these common skin changes during pregnancy, you can better care for your skin and choose products that are safe and effective. Remember, always consult with your healthcare provider before adding any new products to your skincare routine.
Skincare products to avoid during pregnancy
Now, let's talk about what to look for in your skincare products. It is generally recommended to avoid certain skincare products during pregnancy as they may contain ingredients that can be harmful to the growing baby or the mother. Here's a quick overview of what products to avoid during pregnancy.
- Retinoids: These are a form of Vitamin A and are often used in anti-aging skincare. High levels of Vitamin A can cause birth defects, so it's best to avoid them altogether. This includes prescription-strength retinoids like tretinoin and adapalene, as well as over-the-counter retinol.
- Hydroquinone: This ingredient is often used to treat hyperpigmentation but its safety during pregnancy is unclear.
-Arbutin: Arbutin is not considered safe during pregnancy because it can be converted into hydroquinone, which has been shown to have potential toxicity and may be harmful to a developing fetus.
- Salicylic acid: While this ingredient is a popular treatment for acne, high levels of salicylic acid have been linked to birth defects.
- Benzoyl peroxide: Another popular acne treatment, this ingredient is also associated with birth defects.
- Topical acne medications: Skincare products that contain certain antibiotics or corticosteroids may pose a risk to the baby's health.
- Essential oils: During the first three months of pregnancy, certain essential oils may be toxic to the developing fetus or may induce labor. Popular oils such as peppermint, rosemary, and clary sage should be avoided.
Instead, choose natural skin care products that contain gentle, nourishing ingredients like aloe vera, chamomile, lavender, jojoba oil and more. These ingredients will help soothe and hydrate your skin without any harmful side effects.
At our natural skincare brand, we believe that taking care of your skin should be a joyful, uplifting experience. That's why we've created a line of products that are safe, effective, and easy to use.
From our refreshing facial mists to our nourishing day cream, each product is designed to help you feel your best during this special time in your life.
As always, it's best to check with your healthcare provider before using any new skincare products during pregnancy.
What are the products that we recommend during pregnancy?
When it comes to skincare during pregnancy, it is important to be cautious and avoid any products that could potentially harm the developing baby. Here are some recommendations for safe skincare products from helwé during pregnancy
1. Gentle Cleanser
Look for a mild, soap-free cleanser that will effectively remove dirt and makeup without stripping the skin of its natural oils. And we have the best double cleansing set!
Prodige Démaquillant Hydratant
First, cleanse your skin thoroughly.This is the most important thing with the Prodige Demaquillant. This make-up removing oil is suitable for all types of skin. If you have oily or blemish-prone skin, the oil will regulate the production of sebum without causing skin stripping. For dry and dehydrated skin, the oil will soften and deeply nourish the epidermis.
Apply the make-up remover to your face, neck and bust, then massage them so they can better absorb the oil. Soak a cotton pad in water and wipe your face, neck and bust with it up to four times to remove the makeup, re-soaking the cotton pad each time.
Brume Perfection or Brume Douce
Second, spray a mist. The perfection mist is a combination of aloe vera juice and English lavender, green myrtle and cistus ladanifer floral waters and is for people who have large pores or oily skin, and the soft mist, which is a combination of aloe vera juice and pure English lavender, helichrysum italicum and chamomile floral waters, is for sensitive skin.
2. Gentle Exfoliation
Lactic acid is an alpha-hydroxy acid (AHA) that is commonly used in skincare products to exfoliate the skin. While some AHAs (such as glycolic acid) are not recommended for use during pregnancy due to their ability to penetrate the skin deeply, lactic acid is considered safe to use topically during pregnancy.
Lactic acid is a mild exfoliant that works by breaking down the bonds between dead skin cells, allowing them to be easily removed from the surface of the skin. This process helps to unclog pores, smooth rough skin texture, and improve the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
In addition to its exfoliating properties, lactic acid also helps to hydrate the skin by attracting moisture to the surface. This can be particularly beneficial during pregnancy, when hormonal changes can cause the skin to become dry and itchy.
In the evening, after your cleansing routine, apply the Soft Skin Exfoliating Lotion on a piece of cotton or cloth. Gently spread the product on your upper chest, neck and face. Let the lotion penetrate and dry well before applying the next product (5 to 10 minutes later).
Apply sunscreen every morning for the duration of your Soft Skin Exfoliating Lotion treatment.
If you have very sensitive skin, do not exfoliate!
Look for a fragrance-free moisturizer that will hydrate the skin without clogging pores or causing irritation. We recommend using one of our amazing moisturizers!
The Cream of Eternity is a combination of two plants from Asia: Centella asiatica, a powerful regenerator known as a beauty treasure, and Kombu brown seaweed, an anti-aging extract known for its protective and revitalizing properties.
In addition, the combination of these two plants with hyaluronic acid optimizes this lifting and "plumping" effect on the skin.
Thanks to vitamin B5, hyaluronic acid and aloe vera, the Cream of Eternity also soothes and moisturizes the skin.
Apply the cream all over your face and neck, massaging the skin to help it absorb the product.
The Prodigious Cream contains ingredients from the beehive. These are powerful soothing and moisturizing agents such as beeswax, honey, propolis and, above all, royal jelly, a true concentrate of active elements: vitamins A, B, C, D and E, amino acids, essential fatty acids and minerals. The combination with hyaluronic acid optimizes the hydrating and plumping effect.
Apply the Prodigious Cream 2 to 3 times a day as needed. Avoid contact with eyes. If irritation occurs, discontinue use. For external use only.
Vitamin C can help to brighten the skin and reduce the appearance of dark spots. It is very important to apply vitamin C in the morning because it fights free radicals, prevents pigmentation and other skin problems. It will protect your skin!
The Radiant Serum (Sérum Radieux) brightens and lightens the skin tone, reduces liver spots and minimizes the appearance of wrinkles.
In the morning, after cleansing, apply 2 to 3 pumps of serum by gently patting onto the dry face, neck and upper chest.
Hyaluronic Acid (one of the most hydrating molecules) combined with the revitalizing and plumping properties of Elastin, the soothing and regenerating properties of Aloe Vera, and the softening properties of Allantoin and Vitamin B5 offer you the ideal combination for well hydrated, plumped and youthful skin.
Apply it every night. You can also use it every morning, but after applying the Radiance Serum in the morning, which contains vitamin C.
The Serum Longevite combines 3 very powerful natural antioxidants: vitamin E, polyphenol resveratrol (grape seed extract, polygonum cuspidatum extract) and pomegranate CO2 extracts.
The anti-radical properties of antioxidants allow the serum to combat the harmful effects of oxidative stress, which is responsible for premature aging (particularly associated with sun exposure, pollution, tobacco, etc.).
This serum also stimulates the production of hyaluronic acid in the skin for better hydration, guaranteeing an anti-wrinkle and repairing effect.
You can add a few drops of a vegetable oil-based serum for better effect,The Energy Boosters a few drops with the cream. It's also packed with antioxidants like carrot and pomegranate extracts and therefore it will give you a glow and prevent skin dehydration.
5. Eye care
Enriched with Hyaluronic Acid, Elastin, and Beech Bud Extract, this lightweight Glamorous Eyes lotion infiltrates the eye contour area to plump and deeply nourish.
Rosehip seed oil and avocado oil revitalize the skin and smooth surface wrinkles around the eyes and lips.
Gently massage the roll-on over the eye contour area and lips to stimulate microcirculation and reduce puffiness. Shake before use.
The combination of royal jelly, hyaluronic acid and aloe vera in the Regard Prodigieux cream targets eye wrinkles, fine lines and crow's feet. It hydrates and "plumps" the skin, making it firmer and smoother.
After applying your eye serum, apply the Prodigious Look Cream by gently tapping the area under the eyes, then moving up to the eyebrows. In case of accidental contact with the eyes, rinse thoroughly.
This plumping mask is very effective for all dehydrated skin that lacks rebound. It redensifies and smoothes the skin.
The combination of hyaluronic acid, aloe vera and plant collagen provides intensive hydration and improves skin elasticity.
Apply all over a clean face. Leave on for 10 to 15 minutes, rinse thoroughly with water, then dry your face with a cotton ball or a tissue before proceeding with your daily care.
7. Stretch Mark Cream or oil
As your body grows and changes during pregnancy, stretch marks may appear. Using a cream or oil specifically formulated for stretch marks may help minimize their appearance.
It is much more than an oil that beautifies the skin. It is a moisturizing and nourishing anti-aging treatment that derives its power from the combination of its active ingredients.
Apply the Sensual Oil on your body after the shower.
8. Sunscreen: Protecting your skin from the sun's harmful rays is essential, but it's important to choose a mineral-based sunscreen that contains zinc oxide or titanium dioxide, as chemical sunscreens may be absorbed into the bloodstream and potentially harm the baby.